With the ridges looming in the distance, we pulled into a roadside snack shack, why because it assured us on its sign that it had "yummy homemade food." Yes, the food was very yummy but that aside, we became concerned when patrons kept walking in wearing down jackets and woolen hats. Was this another Donner's? Were J and I ill-prepared for these mountain switchbacks? Is my possum hat going to cut it? No worries. NZ is tourist-ready. You can drive coast to coast and get your rocky mountain high.Thursday, October 18, 2007
Day 15: Christchurch to Greymouth via Arthur's Pass
With the ridges looming in the distance, we pulled into a roadside snack shack, why because it assured us on its sign that it had "yummy homemade food." Yes, the food was very yummy but that aside, we became concerned when patrons kept walking in wearing down jackets and woolen hats. Was this another Donner's? Were J and I ill-prepared for these mountain switchbacks? Is my possum hat going to cut it? No worries. NZ is tourist-ready. You can drive coast to coast and get your rocky mountain high.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Julian -- I remember cycling from Christchurch to Greymouth via Arthur's Pass many years ago. Those southern Alps are not to be missed. I can imagine that you would have enjoyed that trip on two wheels. Certainly sounds like you're enjoying it on four wheels!
Beth R.
Hmm, I vaguely remember doing something on one of those bicycle things once. Right now, I'm busy getting outta shape, but, yeah, we're having a great time.
I have seen a couple of very fit looking cyclists on the alpine road over Arthur's Pass, but had to drive very carefully in order to avoid running them off the road with my bulky campervan. I'm also told that the keas have now become so pesky that they eat car tires and motorcycle seats. A bike tire might extra appealing...
Post a Comment