Thursday, October 18, 2007

Day 14: Auckland to Christchurch

A very long day today. After turning in our car, and taking the short hop to Christchurch, we waited for what felt like an eternity (but was probably actually about 2 1/2 hours) at the Maui Camper Van rental office, waiting for our van to get ready. Grr. (In their defense, they did comp us a tank of diesel for the wait.)

After they finally got our van ready, we had a brief orientation on all of the various valves knobs and plugs, and we were underway.

Our camper van reminds me a bit of those tiny Japanese apartments I keep hearing about. There isn't anything in it that doesn't serve at least two purposes. With a little rearranging, presto-our tabletop, the benches, and some boards conspire to become our bed.

Driving down the road in this tiny movable house, I feel like a real truck driver-it has that loud diesel engine, and truck transmission. But then I see others just like it (NZ is lousy with them) and they look pretty small. Delusions of grandeur...

Christchurch itself is a quaint little town of 300K set on the idyllic Avon river, but we didn't have time to do much apart from eat (a really great lunch--mmm lamb salad.). I'm looking forward to exploring it more thoroughly on the way back through.

No comments: