Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day 8: diving, return to Tahiti from Mo'orea

J and I are departing from Mo'orea to Tahiti on the ferry any moment!

I went diving this morning with Scubapiti out of Harau on Mo'orea. A short run in a six-pack out of the lagoon on the northwest side of the island with a crew of two - Daniel and Laurent. For my diver loser friends, it was some of the better rental equipment I've used and they were a well-run operation. Daniel had a harmless snarky French way about him and Laurent was the straight man - attentive, quiet, rail-thin.

I can report I had a lovely dive. The topography looked like huge smushed carnations or flattened cake flowers over canyon ridges. There was an incredible display of hard coral like I've never seen. Plus, I got to see a Lemon Shark, Black Tipped Reef Sharks (fond of circling us), a moray, and a sea turtle that actually swam along with us for awhile just grazing, doing his turtle thing.

At the end of the trip, Laurent asked why J hadn't joined us. I explained that he hasn't gotten certified yet but that he's considering instruction since we're passing through so many dive destinations. Laurent paid me a nice complement and said I was a good diver (I'd like to take this moment to thank all my instructors and mentors). Perhaps in contrast to the "instructor" customer diver who was pawing coral heads, I look pretty good.

The Comma, Mo'orea 75 ft for 49 min

No comments: