I took my own course and became a Rescue Diver. It was an intensive course in emergency first response and drills for out of water/in water techniques to aid injured divers. CPR, defibrillation, search patterns, administering oxygen, tows and carries, bringing unresponsive divers from underwater, urchin spines and jellyfish stings, a mess load of things that made my little brain ache. Uh, and carrying my instructor around? That made everything else ache, from resuscitating him and slinging him around and hoisting him onto the boat.
They keep me on constant alert for another "unlucky day on the boat." They would launch into a staged scenario at any given moment to test me under pressure, for example, two panicked divers needing assistance at the same time. The best part was hollering at poor J to serve as a spotter in case they slipped under only to tell him to get out of the way so I could throw the line. I seemed comfortable with delegating and barking out orders.
The only known break I would get was at the front of each dive when my instructor and I would tour around looking for the beasties. My instructor was an enthusiastic naturalist, which I really appreciated...until he would suddenly get pie-eyed and distressed or feign unconsciousness on the sand. Stinker.
3. Bida Nok, departure from Ko Phi Phi, Thailand
60 feet for 60 minutes
82F H2O temp
Four Hawksbill Turtles, Peacock Mantis Shrimp, Black Banded Sea Snake
4. Palong North, departure from Ko Phi Phi, Thailand
61 feet for 50 minutes
82F H2O temp
Indian Pincushion Sea Star , Crown of Thorns, schooling Bluefin Trevally, Yellowfin Grouper, many very small nudibranchs
2 comments:
We have been delighted with your pictures of marine creatures. But this picture of Kirsten may be the prettiest of all. Except for the one of Julian in a white shirt in Singapore. I clicked on the image and looked at the full-resolution picture. A very fine photograph. We are pleased to see you both looking so happy and healthy. Unemployment suits you both.
Aw shucks. Guess you like my off-the-shoulder Flashdance look. We may look good but our flip flops smell like a barnyard at this point.
Post a Comment