Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 41: night diving Ko Phi Phi, Thailand

Tonsai Bay Tsunami Memorial Ko Phi Phi , Thailand
40 feet for 40 minutes

We took an authentic Thai long tail boat out into Tonsai Bay at dusk--all very James Bond, except that I suppose I should have been sporting a spear gun. One of the real benefits of Thailand is that there's an abundance of cheap labor, and hence I was on my first ever night dive on the long tail with my instructor, and a crew of 2 Thai boathands, on the night of my choosing, and it was still quite affordable.

After a short put-put ride on the longtail, we geared up and rolled backward into the water. It's a bit eerie down there at night, but very fun. Catfish, a number of banded boxer shrimp, rainbow parrot fish, and tons of reef crab. Sadly, no lobster or octopus, but my instructor did warn me ahead of time that this isn't really the best spot for night diving.

1 comment:

Kevan Hashemi said...

When you say "affordable", how much do you mean? Don't by coy with me, big boy.