Thursday, October 11, 2007

Day 9: Early arrival in Auckland

Checked into our *beautiful* room at the Tahiti Radisson yesterday, (2 levels, ocean views, very swank). We were just getting settled in, and starting to unwind from a hectic le truck ride. I went for a swim in the oceanside pool, and when I got back, there was a little note wedged into the door, letting us know that our flight for this morning was cancelled--no explanation. After a couple of attempts, and some help from the reception desk, I finally got through to the Air Tahiti Nui people, and confirmed that the flight was indeed cancelled, because the airline was planning to go on strike at midnight. There was a replacement flight for 11:30 p.m., just before the strike would start, so we grabbed our stuff, and high tailed it over to the airport. It was still empty when we got there and got into what K correctly supposed was the right line, but 3 and a half hours later, when we finally boarded the plane, there was a huge mob of irate people at the airport, apparently being told that there was no way for them to get off the island for the next week. So we made a narrow escape. (Escaping from Tahiti might not seem all that great to you, but I'm a bit relieved--New Zealand is way cheaper.)

So right now we're sitting in the lounge of our hotel/hostel place, basking in the internet connectivity, and waiting for check-in time, so that we can take a well deserved nap.

No comments: