Monday, October 29, 2007

Day 26: J gets his certification

So I've been a bit remiss with the blog posting in the past couple of days, because I've been busy learning to dive. The rest of the pool work went off without a hitch, and then yesterday, we went out for our first open water dive.
K tells me that I'm getting totally spoiled diving here, and I believe her. The conditions are really pretty much perfect-warm crystalline water, flat 10 minute boat rides, and an incredible assortment of fish. We saw a cuttle fish (changing color and texture) on my first time out. That and a few lionfish, a couple different types of moray, etc. And that was just the first time out.
I'm still working with a cold, so I had a bit of trouble clearing my left ear, but managed to work through it each dive and had a great time.
So now I have my temporary open water diver card, and all of the paperwork for the real one, but we'll have to wait for Singapore to mail it in, because there's no post here on the Gilis and apparently the postal service on Bali is less than totally reliable.
But anyway, hooray, and I'm looking forward to Ko Phi Phi in Thailand where K and I will do some dives together. We're told that November is the perfect time to go.